The UK’s Cadet Forces are among the most successful youth organisations in the world, with a long history of developing young people’s skills and attributes, and helping them grow into responsible young adults.
In 2012 the government announced its cadet expansion plan, which aims to have up to 100 more cadet units in state-funded schools by 2015.
The Government’s objective is to see more state schools have access to a cadet unit, as this would significantly increase the number of young people able to access the cadet experience in a way that is likely to have significant benefits to schools and young people.
Cadet units provide a stimulating environment of challenging, adventurous and educational activities within the framework of a progressive training structure.
Benefits to young people include:
- Increased confidence, self-esteem and resilience
- Development of self-discipline, self-reliance and leadership
- Greater aspirations, along with opportunities to gain qualifications
- Sense of service to others, to the community and team-work
- Action, adventure, fun and friendship
However, it is not only young people who benefit. Schools which have set up cadet units have seen significant benefits to the school itself, to the staff who have got involved, and to the local community.
Benefits to the school & community include:
- An observed improvement in student behaviour and discipline
- Improved relationships between students and teachers
- Positive role modelling by cadets for other young people
- Wider opportunities for staff development as Cadet Force Adult Volunteers
- Increased visibility and reputation of the school and its students in the community
- Practical cadet support of community activities and events
For more information:
The School Cadet Expansion Officer in Yorkshire and The Humber is Gerard Hardy. Please feel free to get in touch with Gerard and he will be able to tell you more about the initiative, discuss your particular situation and advise on the next steps you could take.
School Cadet Force Expansion Officer
Tel: 01904 615548
For general information on the School Cadet Expansion Programme, please click here.