Salary: Grade C2 – £33,000 per annum
Basic £33k with an uplift allowance of between £2500-£5000 dependant on qualification and experience (MRICS/FRCIS) in addition to the core salary. The role offers a 37 hour working week and when appropriate some home working.
A vacancy has arisen for an Estates Surveyor to work within the Estates team at our offices in York. This is a Crown Servant Grade C2 full-time position, reporting to the Head of Estates .
The Estates Surveyor is responsible to the Head of Estates (HoE )for the provision of technical direction, advice and assistance to enable the implementation of the Reserve Forces and Cadets Association’s building, mechanical, electrical, civil engineering and Facilities Management (FM) plans.
This is to be achieved by ensuring statutory and mandatory compliance and value-for-money management of the Association’s properties across the Estate and financial policy laid down by the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) on behalf of all customers
Essential Criteria includes:
- Valid Driving Licence
- Able to interact productively with colleagues and Stakeholders to build strong working relationships and manage expectations
- Previous experience managing workloads and prioritising commitments
- Must have experience as a surveyor within the construction / estates sector
- Knowledge of CDM 2015
- Knowledge of budgets and budgeting
- HND or equivalent qualification in construction
- Live within a commutable distance of York and be happy to travel across Yorkshire to different premises as and when required
At the Reserve Forces and Cadets Association for Yorkshire and the Humber (RFCA YH) we champion the Reserve and Cadet forces’ across our region, through community and corporate engagement, estate management and recruitment support to local Reserve Units and Cadet Detachments.
We have been the voice for Yorkshire and the Humber’s Navy, Army and Air Force Reservists and Cadets since 1908.
The RFCA YH offices are based just a short walk out of York city centre within a historic former residential home. As well as having free parking we also have a beautiful garden to look out on or enjoy a lunch break in, making it a very special and unique workspace. Our weekly hours are 37 worked between 08.30 and 16.30.
The annual holiday entitlement is 25 days, which increases to 30 days after 5 years. Previous service in the Armed Forces or any Government Body also qualifies the employee to 30 days on entry. This is in addition to the 8 statutory Bank Holidays.
We offer a defined benefit Career Average Revalued Earnings Scheme. Your contribution is 5% of your pensionable salary and the Employer contributes 13%. Pension is accrued at the rate of 2.32% of your pensionable salary in each Scheme Year. As a member of the Scheme you are also insured for Death in Service with the lump sum and a pension payable to your Beneficiary.
Should you wish to discuss the vacancy please contact Jenny Robinson by emailing email@example.com where your enquiry can be responded to or redirected.
Candidates should send the completed application form to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate, by providing evidence, how your experience, qualification, skills and knowledge either at work, or elsewhere, qualify you to undertake the duties and responsibilities set out in the main activities and key tasks of the Job Description.
Estates surveyor job description
The Estates Surveyor is responsible to the HoE for the provision of technical direction, advice and assistance to enable the implementation of the Reserve Forces and Cadets Association’s building, mechanical, electrical, civil engineering and Facilities Management (FM) plans. This is to be achieved by ensuring statutory and mandatory compliance and value-for-money management of the Association’s properties across the Estate and financial policy laid down by the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) on behalf of all customers.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- To plan and cost effectively manage the implementation of the forward maintenance programme, responsive maintenance, refurbishment and re-provision for all Association premises and land.
- Undertake and complete Condition Survey Reports and scoring as per the scheduled plan on assigned assets within the Association’s area of responsibility every two years.
- Maintain the Property Management database.
- Represent the Department or Association at meetings and attend site meetings from inception through to the end of defects period of any project.
- Raise Works Orders, review progress of work, approve and certifying invoices for work completed in accordance with delegated powers determined by the Association Management Board.
- If requested by Head of Estates task consultants or personally prepare specifications and schedules of work in furtherance of Tenders and Competitive Pricing requests.
- Advise and assist with the scope and schedule of work under the Planned Maintenance Programme (PMP) and maintain the Forward Maintenance Register (FRM).
- Fulfil the role of Client under CDM Regulations and coordinate external professional service providers in relation to Capital and other non-maintenance projects.
- Prepare estimates of cost for all minor new works and maintenance services and establish priorities for such works in relation to financial limitations and staff capacity.
- Monitor contractor performance and complete Quality Assurance Audit Checks in accordance with current regulations and delivery of projects on time and within the allocated budget.
- Agree, monitor and review Safe Systems of Work.
Additional tasks and responsibilities
- Other than where consultants have been appointed, the responsibility of all building, mechanical, electrical, civil engineering works on all sites and properties within the Association’s area of responsibility.
- Co-ordinate the Volunteer Estate Environmental Management System (VE EMS) within the Association’s area of responsibility.
- Undertake all other duties as directed by the HoE commensurate with competencies held and the grade of this post.
- As an Association Management employee, set and require the highest standards of professional conduct and contribute to a positive working environment.
- Develop with the HoE, the annual budgeted maintenance programmes.
- Maintain and enable MIS processes in line with current Association approved version within your area of responsibility.
The Chief Executive may review this Job Description in the light of changes in responsibility or at a change of incumbent.
Health and safety
To be aware of and comply at all times, with the terms of the Association Health and Safety Policy Statement, which is posted on all staff notice boards throughout the Association’s sites. Support the Estate Health & Safety Officer maintain a safe place across assigned sites.
Estates surveyor person specification
|5 years working experience as a surveyor within the construction sector||YES|
|Managing workload and prioritizing commitments||YES|
|Organisation and Administration||YES|
|HND or equivalent in Construction||YES|
|RICS or CIOB qualification (or working towards membership||YES|
|Skills and Abilities|
|Able to interact productively with colleagues and Stakeholders to build strong working relationships and manage expectations||YES|
|Ability to produce accurate work to tight deadlines under pressure||YES|
|Ability to communicate clearly in writing and orally||YES|
|Able to use all Microsoft Office applications competently||YES|
|Knowledge of CDM 2015 Regulations||YES|
|Knowledge of Local authorities and the planning process||YES|
|Knowledge of budgets and budgeting||YES|
|Any Additional Factors|
|Empathetic individual having the flexibility to deal with a wide variety of situations||YES|
|Positive individual, with an innovative approach to work||YES|
|Full driving license (Group B)||YES|