Three outstanding cadets have been awarded one of the highest honours any cadet can achieve – appointment as a Lord-Lieutenant Cadet for their county.
His Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of South Yorkshire, Professor Dame Hilary Chapman DBE RN, paid tribute to her new appointees who she personally selected in recognition of their exemplary contribution to their units and wider community.
The cadets were among those honoured at a special ceremony at 212 (Yorkshire) Field Hospital’s base at Endcliffe Hall, Sheffield, which was hosted by the RFCA for Yorkshire and the Humber to enable the Lord-Lieutenant to recognise some of the county’s very best volunteers.
Also recognised were five reservists and four cadet force adult volunteers – all of whom have shown exceptional commitment and dedication throughout their service.
Commitment to cadets
The Lord-Lieutenant said: “It is a privilege to be able to pay tribute to some of South Yorkshire’s outstanding individuals who volunteer valuable time to serve their communities through their commitment to the cadet and reserve forces.
“It is particularly a pleasure to welcome my newly-appointed Lord-Lieutenant Cadets . They are remarkable young people and I am looking forward to getting to know them over the next year.
“I am also delighted to recognise the contribution made by the region’s cadet force adult volunteers. They deserve our deepest gratitude for the time they give to help young people gain access to the wide range of opportunities made possible by the cadet movement.
“In addition, I am very proud to recognise the contribution of some of our reservists in the region. Reservists combine lives and careers in the civilian world with valuable roles in the military.
“I am so pleased to honour five outstanding individuals who represent the very best of our reserves and have shown extraordinary dedication and commitment to their respective units.”
- Able Cadet Keilan Blades, who is with Eastern Area Sea Cadets in Doncaster. Cadet Sergeant Piper Noble, of Humberside and South Yorkshire Army Cadet Force.
- Cadet Flight Sergeant Kian Watkins, of Bawtry Squadron, of South and West Yorkshire Wing RAF Air Cadets.
Winning cadet force adult volunteers
- Colour Sergeant John Daley, Eastern Area Sea Cadets, Sheffield.
- Sergeant Major Instructor Ann Bowers, Humberside and South Yorkshire Army Cadet Force.
- Staff Sergeant Instructor Rebecca Montgomery, of Humberside and South Yorkshire Army Cadet Force.
- Sergeant Instructor Janine Clark, Humberside and South Yorkshire Army Cadet Force.
- Warrant Officer Class 2 Thomas Pigg, 4th Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment
- Warrant Officer Class 2 Lesley Taylor, 212 (Yorkshire) Field Hospital
- Staff Sergeant Ronald Lewis, Sheffield University Officer Training Corps
- Sergeant Jamie Booth, 106 Field Squadron, Royal Engineers
- Sergeant Jonathan Jones, 146 Divisional Support Company Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.