The number of young people who are now cadets in a unit at their own school has nearly doubled in Yorkshire and the Humber over the last four years – and stands at nearly 2,000.
This growth is thanks to the Schools Cadet Expansion Programme which was launched in 2012 with the aim of creating 100 more cadet units in state-funded schools by 2015.
In Yorkshire and the Humber, the ongoing success of the programme accounts for the biggest growth in cadet numbers – with cadet numbers in other organisations dipping due to the restrictions of the pandemic.
State school cadet units
The Government’s aim in encouraging more state schools to have cadet units was to increase the number of young people able to access the cadet experience. This was the objective because it believed they believed this would bring significant benefits to schools and young people.
Benefits of cadets to young people
- Increased confidence, self-esteem and resilience
- Development of self-discipline, self reliance and leadership
- Greater aspirations, along with opportunities to gain qualifications
- Sense of service to others, the community and team-work
- Action, adventure, fun and friendship.
Benefits to school and community
However, it is not only young people who benefit. Schools which have set up cadet units have seen significant benefits to the school itself, to the staff who have got involved, and to the local community:
- An observed improvement in student behaviour and discipline
- Improved relationships between students and teachers
- Positive role modelling by cadets for other young people
- Wider opportunities for staff development as Cadet Force Adult Volunteers
- Increased visibility and reputation of the school and its students in the community
- Practical cadet support of community activities and events
Get more information
The Cadet Expansion Programme has hit its national target of 500 schools with CCFs across the four nations of the UK. Opportunities to join the programme do still exist and the point of contact is:
Schools Cadet Expansion Officer
Tel: 01904 615548